• 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
• 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
• 2 cups halved and sliced zucchini
• 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 8 oz. smoked turkey sausage, sliced
• 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice (such as Minute brown rice)
• 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
• 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
• 3/4 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet (that's at least 2-inches deep) over medium-high heat.
2. Add in yellow onion and saute, stirring frequently, 4 minutes.
3. Add in zucchini, bell pepper and garlic and saute 2 minutes longer.
4. Push veggies to one side (and preferably pull that side of the pan off the burner heat slightly while cooking the sausage) then add sausage to the now empty side and cook until it's starting to brown, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes.
5. Pour in rice, tomatoes and chicken broth. Season with chili powder, cumin, thyme, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir then pour in black beans, bring mixture to a boil. Cover pan with lid and reduce temperature to medium. Allow to boil gently 5 - 6 minutes then remove from heat, toss and let rest 8 - 10 minutes until rice is tender.
7. Drain off excess liquid if desired. Toss in parsley and serve warm with cheese.