• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 6 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
• 6 ounces Bryant's Meat pork sausage, casings removed
• 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
• ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
• ⅛ teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
• 12 ounces thin tube-shaped pasta, such as pasta al ceppo
• 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
• 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
2. Meanwhile, combine oil, onion and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and crumbling the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pepper and ⅛ teaspoon salt; cook until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender.
4. Just before the pasta is done, return the sauce to medium-low heat. Add ricotta and basil and stir until combined. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce and Parmigiano. Serve at once.