• 12 ounces Bryant's Meat hot or turkey sausage links, removed from casings
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 1 large onion, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups chopped tomatoes
• 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 2½ cups frozen chopped okra
• ¾ cup instant brown rice
• organic white quinoa
• 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced (optional)
1. Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl lined with paper towels.
2. Return the pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables, until the flour browns, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to release their juices, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
3. Return the sausage to the pan, along with okra and rice; reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the okra is heated through and the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with sliced scallions, if using.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Ingredient Note: Cajun seasoning is a spice blend that usually includes cayenne and black pepper, salt, thyme, garlic and onion powder and paprika. Look for it in the spice section of the supermarket.